Metallica, Chickenfoot, Iron Maiden Join Deep Purple Tribute Album
Metallica, Chickenfoot, and Iron Maiden are among the stars joining forces for an upcoming Deep Purple tribute album, ‘Re-Machined: A Tribute to ‘Machine Head.” As you can guess from the title, every song from the band’s landmark 1972 album is covered at least once on this record.
In fact, you’ll get two takes on both ‘Smoke on the Water’ and ‘Highway Star,’ with Carlos Santana and alt-rockers the Flaming Lips both tackling the former, while Chickenfoot and an all-star band led by former Deep Purple singer Glen Hughes both taking on the latter.
The CD will be part of a deluxe Deep Purple “Fan Pack” released by Classic Rock magazine on Sept. 4. The disc will come with a 124-page magazine filled with exclusive interviews with many of the bands featured on the CD. Metallica dive particularly deep into Purple’s back catalog for their contribution, covering the ‘Machine’-era B-side ‘When a Blind Man Cries,’ which has steadily become a staple of the band’s live concerts.
The album will also be released on Sept. 25 in America through Eagle Records.
‘Re-Machined: A Tribute to ‘Machine Head” Tracklist:
1. ‘Smoke On The Water’ – Carlos Santana / Jacoby Shaddix
2. ‘Highway Star’ – Chickenfoot
3. ‘Maybe I’m A Leo’ – Glenn Hughes / Chad Smith
4. ‘Pictures of Home’ – Black Label Society
5. ‘Never Before’ – Kings of Chaos (Featuring Joe Elliot of Def Leppard, Duff McKagan and Steve Stevens)
6. ‘Smoke On The Water’ – The Flaming Lips
7. ‘Lazy’ – Jimmy Barnes with Joe Bonamassa
8. ‘Space Truckin’’ – Iron Maiden
9. ‘When A Blind Man Cries’ – Metallica
10. ‘Highway Star’ – Steve Vai, Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith, Lauchlan Doley
Watch Chickenfoot Perform ‘Highway Star’